Hallux valgus corrective procedure is a common among orthopaedic surgeons. Majority of vitamin D comes from the sun. More than 50% of the populations are reported to be having vitamin D insufficiency/deficiency due to lack of adequate sun expose [1,2]. Low levels of vitamin D are associated various medical conditions . Vitamin D can help with fracture healing .
The role of low vitamin D in the foot and ankle has been reported [2,4]. Literature is scarce with the role of hallux valgus corrective procedure and vitamin D. The patient can benefit from vitamin D investigation since it has been shown that patients treated for low levels have good outcomes following ankle fractures .
Adults with low levels of vitamin D can present in various forms. Laboratory investigations will help with determining the values and prompt management.
Presumptive high dosage of vitamin D replenishment therapy can be used . The are various regimes which are used to treated low levels . One should use the regime that contain high levels of vitamin D. Treating low levels of vitamin D can be beneficial to the bone and other medical conditions.
- Pearce S, Cheetham T. Diagnosis and management of vitamin D deficiency. BMJ. 2010; 340: 142-147.
- Michelson J, Charlson M. Vitamin D status in an elective orthopaedic surgical population. Foot & Ankle Int. 2015; 37: 186-191.
- Gorter E, Krijen P, Schipper I. Vitamin D and adult fracture healing. J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2017; 8: 34-37.
- Warner S, Garner M, Nguyen J, Lorich D. Perioperative vitamin D levels correlation with clinical outcomes after ankle fracture fixation. Arch Ortho Trauma Surg. 2016; 136: 339-344.
- Pepper K, Judd S, Nanes M, Tangpricha V. Evaluation of vitamin D repletion regimens to correct vitamin D status in adults. Endocr Pract. 2009; 15: 95- 103.