Hydrological Analysis of the Aoos (Vjosë) -Voidomatis Hydrosystem in Greece

Review Article

Austin J Hydrol. 2014;1(2): 8.

Hydrological Analysis of the Aoos (Vjosë) -Voidomatis Hydrosystem in Greece

Leontaritis AD1* and BaltasE2

1Metsovion Interdisciplinary Research Center, National Technical University of Athens, Greece

2Department of Water Resources and Environment, Laboratory of Hydrology and Water Resources Management, National Technical University of Athens, Greece

*Corresponding author: Leontaritis AD, Laboratory of Steam Boilers and Thermal Plants, School of Mechanical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, 9 Iroon Polytechniou, 15780 Zografou, Athens, Greece

Received: August 07, 2014; Accepted: September 31, 2014; Published: October 16, 2014


The main goal of this work is to create a solid background for further study of the Aoos-Voidomatis hydro system. Aoos is the only upstream transboundary river of Greece, and together with its main tributary, Voidomatis, form a unique, protected ecosystem. Currently, there are no hydrological studies in the literature following the construction of the Aoos Springs dam in 1988, or any work to summarize its hydrological and geographical characteristics. This paper examines the extension and supplementation of available hydrological data in several measuring stations of the hydro system between 1950 and 2012. The original historical time-series dataset can be used for future studies, as primary data prior to and after the construction of the dam. Furthermore, this study provides a forecast for the monthly discharges of the river in the future, through the generation of a 50-year long synthetic time-series. As a result, the risk of failure to cover existing water needs was estimated. The methodology developed for the supplementation of the historical time-series, as well as, the creation of the synthetic time-series, includes some linear regression models and the forecasting autoregressive models (AR(1) and AR(2)). These models were applied to the available data with statistically significant results. The main conclusion that derived from this study is that current discharges can sufficiently cover the existing water needs; mainly for the irrigation of the Konitsa plain. However, it has been proven that the hydro system is sensitive to climate fluctuations and/or water use.

Keywords: Aoos; Vjosë; Voidomatis; Hydrological analysis; Autoregressive models; Water sufficiency


Aoos is a major Greek river belonging in the water district of Epirus and has a series of interesting characteristics that form the main reasons for its selection as a case study. It is the only upstream transboundary river of Greece [1], and even though there is no regulation between Greece and Albania regarding the water use from the Greek side of the border, its management remains an important issue. Its total catchment area covers 6519 km2; 67% or 4365 km2 belongs to Albania while the remaining 33% or 2154 km2 belongs to Greece; its discharge is estimated at 2154 hm3 on the Greek-Albanian borders, and at 5550 hm3 at its estuary in the Adriatic Sea [2]. As shown in Figure 1, Aoos and its main tributary, Voidomatis, form a unique, protected ecosystem (North Pindos National Park, Pindos State Park, Vikos-Aoos State Park, several Natura 2000 areas).